Thursday, December 10, 2009

I almost killed my dog...again!

A few weeks ago I met C for drinks at the Elk. I had just gotten home from a business trip so I had left my computer bag by the front door. I forgot, however, that I had a bottle of Kodi's rymadyl in my bag. There were approximately 20 75mg pills of rimadyl. The great thing about rymadyl is that it is quick dissolving and tastes good to dogs. The terrible thing about rymadyl is that it is quick dissolving and tastes good to dogs.

Kona helped herself, removing the bottle cap, to the entire bottle of rymadyl. When we got home I noticed the empty bottle laying in the middle of the living room floor. C wanted to give her epicac and make her throw up, but I am an over protective doggy Mom (when I am not accidentally killing my dog) so off we went to pet emergency.

They slowly explained to me how my dog could die from organ failure, etc..etc..etc.. I just wanted them to hurry up and make her puke. Spare me the explanation and get to work!!! It turns out that they put eye drops that contain a morphine derivative in their eyes to make them puke. We were told it would be about a half hour wait while Kona puked her guts out. About ten minutes into the wait here comes wriggling Kona running across the waiting room. She had some how escaped from vet tech and made a break for it. Can't say I blamed her!

After Kona puked up some large amounts of brown gruel we met with the vet again. The vet wanted to keep her overnight for "hospitalization" so they could monitor her organ function. The put together an estimate for me and it was (drum roll please).....$800. Are you F#$KING KIDDING ME!!! So home we went after paying $134. I was advised to give her some Pepcid so she doesn't get a stomach ulcer. I stopped at the drug store on the way home and got 30 10mg pills for $11. The had estimated the cost of Pepcid during hospitalization to be $66 for two pills.

After all this it seems like Kona if healthy and happy. I guess only time will tell if any damage was done to her organs. So far she has seemed very resilient...hopefully that will continue.

No comments: