Monday, October 6, 2008

Stupid Girl


On Sunday I decided to go for a hike. I picked a trail suggested by my "Best Hikes with Dogs" book. I didn't end up hiking that trail because the directions in the book were so poor I never did find the trail head. Instead, I saw a trail called Wylie Knob Trail and decided to give it a try, not knowing anything about the trail. The trail was nice and wide and there was only one other car at the trail head so I felt comfortable letting Kona run off leash.


The problem with hiking a trail you know nothing about is:

1) you have no idea what the destination is if there even is one. Is it a view, lake, more trail...

2) you have no idea how long the trail is

3) you have no idea how much elevation the trail gains

4) etc...


So here I am hiking along a beautiful trail with no idea where I am going and how long it will take me to get there. I kept telling myself "if I quite now I might miss the big finale", not that I would know what the "finale" is if I saw it. After following the trail for 2.5 hours uphill (there was literally no downhill sections), I reached an area that I decided was a good place to turn around. I can only hope it was Wylie Knob, or something close to it. The views from the top were amazing. Along the way I saw elk, huckleberries, bear poop (luckily it was cold, yes, I felt it to make sure) and amazing fall colors. Kona had a blast and stayed close.


By the time I turned around I was pretty anxious to get back to my car. The weather looked pretty iffy and the light seemed to be fading fast. I still had a 1.5 hour descent to do. Instantly I knew it was not going to be fun. My IT bands and hip flexors were so tight. Anyways...lets just say I haven't been so happy to see my car in a really really long time. It was all I could do to lift my legs into the car. (Today I can hardly move!!!)


All in all I am happy I did the hike. But I still ask myself..."Am I being a stupid girl to go out there by myself?" Then again...what alternative do I have...sitting on the couch...NO THANK YOU!

No comments: