Wednesday, January 17, 2007

I Missed a Question on a 2nd Grade Reading Test

Where I work we all have the opportunity to go volunteer at a local elementary school, so I go every Wednesday. My department volunteers in a second grade classroom. We help the students with their reading program. The program they use is computerized. The kids sit at computers with headphones and work their way through different stories. To move onto a new story the kids must practice a certain number of times, learn vocabulary words, take a quiz, and read out loud.

Today I was helping a little girl with the quiz portion of the program. The story, on Martin Luther King, was three paragraphs long. The first question is "what is the main focus of the story?" and the choices are "MLK was a great American", "MLK wanted peace for everyone", "MLK wanted everyone to be treated equally", and "MLK was bad at school". I thought the answer was "MLK wanted everyone to be treated equally". According to this reading program I was wrong. They said the answer was "MLK was a great American". I won't argue that this isn't true, MLK definitely was a great American, but that was one sentence in the story and the rest of the story talked about people being treated unequally. At least that is what it looked like to me. Shows what I know. Apparently I can't pass a 2nd grade reading test.

No comments: