Wednesday, January 3, 2007

Something You Don't Get to Experience In Cali

On New Years Day I attempted to drive home from my parents place in Deer Park to Sandpoint. I made it about 5 miles before deciding to turn back. I saw 4 cars in the ditch and decided it was a sign to turn back.

One car, a Ford Bronco, was facing the wrong way in the ditch and was being assisted by a shiny red fire truck and ambulance. Fun times! Further up the road a teal mini van was in the ditch, the woman inside still wore the face of shock.

After calling my cousin in Sandpoint to make sure she could stop by and feed my cat, I turned around and headed back past all the carnage. Just as I was passing the bronco and its entourage for the second time a Ford Explorer headed towards me up the hill lost control and started fishtailing across my lane. Breathe....Breathe (I think)....Slow down gently...give him time to get it under control...."STOP OVER CORRECTING YOU IDOIT"....drop my car down into 2nd....give him more time....hope the people behind me don't smash into me....he got it! OMG, my heart started racing and I couldn't breathe....I almost died. Just before I turn onto my parents road an ambulance passes me going towards the direction I just came. Definitely not a good way to start the new year.

Back safely at my parents house, I rejoined everyone at the bonfire. That night I watch Boise State beat Oklahoma. One of the best football games I have ever seen. I guess it was just meant to be.

No comments: